Bringing a child into the world should be a time of joy. Sometimes, however, complications arise during labor or after delivery that cause injury to your baby. Facing this situation can quickly turn a celebratory moment into one of heartbreak. If you find yourself in this situation, you don't have to face these struggles alone—the personal injury attorneys at Benassi & Benassi are just a phone call away.
Common Types of Birth Injuries
Although commonly referred to as “birth injuries,” injuries to your child can occur before or after the actual birthing process. A physician's negligence can cause harm to an unborn child while still in the gestation period or in the days and weeks after your baby has been born. While there are countless types of injuries that can create a cause of action for a negligence lawsuit, some injuries occur more frequently than others. One of the most common causes of injury to newborns results from misuse of forceps or a vacuum extractor during the delivery process: although these delivery tools are meant to assist during complicated deliveries—and are often critical to delivering an infant safely—misuse of such tools can lead to severe complications. Babies who fall victim to improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors can face injuries such as:
- Swelling of the scalp due to excessive pressure to the head;
- Severe bruising or hemorrhaging;
- Facial paralysis from facial muscles being damaged during extraction; and
- Nerve damage from being forcefully pulled from the birth canal.
Other injuries that can occur during or around the delivery stage include:
- Brachial palsy, which is a condition that impairs the use of a baby's hand and arm;
- Fractured bones from being improperly delivered during labor;
- Injuries to the spinal cord, which can lead to temporary or permanent paralysis;
- Cerebral palsy, which causes severe muscle weakness and an inability to control motor function;
- Permanent brain damage from lack of oxygen during delivery; and
- Complications from wrongfully administered medications after delivery.
Was Your Newborn Injured by a Medical Professional's Negligence? We're Here to Help
If your child was injured during gestation, during the delivery process, or while under the care of a nurse or doctor following delivery, then you know how devastating it can be to see your child face unnecessary pain and the possibility of lifelong injuries. You don't have to face a personal injury lawsuit by yourself—let the experienced personal injury attorneys at Benassi & Benassi take the weight off of your shoulders and fight on your behalf. To speak with an attorney about the specifics of your case, fill out an online case evaluation form or call (309) 674-3556 today. Your child deserves justice, and we're here to help you get it.