Injuries caused by burns can range from uncomfortable to excruciating--and, in some instances, life-threatening. If you are the victim of a severe burn from an accident that occurred in Illinois, then you may be entitled to recover compensation for the pain that you have suffered. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Benassi & Benassi, P.C.'s Peoria, Illinois office can help you fight every step of the way to receive the justice that you deserve for your injuries.
What Damages Can I Recover from a Burn Injury?
The damages you may be able to receive from a burn injury depend on many factors, including the severity of your injury and the wrongdoing of the person who caused your burn. Possible compensation that you may be able to recover includes the following.
- Compensation for medical bills such as hospital stays and surgical costs.
- Costs of medical equipment that you might need after your injuries, including prescription medicine, gauze, dressings, and ointment.
- Costs associated with rehabilitative therapy if your burns caused significant damage.
- Payment for long-term care such as an in-home or around-the-clock nurse if your injury left you severely or permanently disabled.
- Damages to make up for lost wages from being unable to work after your injury.
- Loss of future earning potential if your injury has left you permanently unable to return to your job or has left you permanently disabled.
- Loss of the ability to enjoy your life as you once did.
- Compensation for physical pain and suffering which you experienced as a result of your accident.
- Compensation for the loss of companionship, affection, and care that you provided to others, such as your spouse and/or family members.
- Damages for emotional suffering that you dealt with after your injury, including depression, anxiety, or an inability to sleep.
If your burns were caused by someone whose actions were particularly heinous, you may also be entitled to punitive damages on top of the compensation listed above. Punitive damages are not meant to compensate you in any way; rather, they are meant to punish the person who caused your injuries and to act as a deterrent to prevent similar conduct from reoccurring in the future.
Suffering from a Bad Burn? We're Here to Help
If you are suffering from a severe burn and are considering a lawsuit against the person who caused your injuries, you need an experienced personal injury attorney on your side to help you have the best chance of a successful outcome. Our attorneys have decades of experience fighting for the rights of our clients and are standing by to help you too. Don't wait any longer--time is limited when filing a claim. To take the next step toward a brighter future, fill out an online case evaluation form or call (309) 674-3556 today.